da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

First Play: the Mynabirds, Lovers Know | Musique Non Stop

da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Thursday, July 23, 2015

First Play: the Mynabirds, Lovers Know

LISTEN

The Mynabirds
Lovers Know
Stream to July 30

These are the months that require pop albums to ebb from synth-laden confessionals and flow to handclappable rhythms, and the Mynabirds’ Laura Burhenn knows just how to create that lakeside soundtrack.

On Lovers Know, the band's third full-length, Burhenn yo-yos her heart from all-consuming love ("I'd walk through hell for just one kiss / I'd give everything I have for a minute more of this," on "All My Heart") to the downslide of dissolution ("You say you’re a believer, but you don’t have any faith, not even in me," on "Believer"). On the track "Velveteen," her voice is a Lana Del Rey level of fatalistic; she sings, "Baby, go easy on me, I’m fragile as fragile can be," but it doesn’t sound like she’d ever break. No matter the track, Lovers Know feels hazy and perfectly paced.

The album was produced by Bradley Hanan Carter and recorded in four different places over a year: L.A., Joshua Tree, Nashville and Auckland, New Zealand. Burhenn wrote it after touring with the Postal Service in 2013 and taking a year off to travel, eventually landing in L.A. to put the album together.

The result is a shiny pop record of the heart; an album for all the summer lovers.

Lovers Know is available via Saddle Creek. Pre-order it here.

Tracklist

1. "All My Heart"
2. "Believer"
3. "Semantics"
4. "Say Something"
5. "Orion"
6. "Velveteen"
7. "Shake Your Head Yes"
8. "Wildfire"
9. "Omaha"
10. "One Foot"
11. "Hanged Man"
12. "Last Time"

Find me on Twitter: @hollygowritely

LISTEN

Listen to CBC Music: Sonica

Check out more albums to preview via our First Plays, like Daniel Romano's If I've Only One Time Askin'.


by Holly Gordon via Electronic RSS

No comments:

Post a Comment

jQuery(document).ready() {