da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

DJ Morgan Geist's favourite tracks | Musique Non Stop

da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Friday, October 25, 2013

DJ Morgan Geist's favourite tracks


Morgan Geist 

One half of New York nu-disco duo Metro Area empties the contents of his psychic record bag

The track I'll be opening my next DJ set with


I never know because there are so many variables. I usually try to reset the floor to avoid inheriting the prior DJ's estate.

The track I always play to rescue a dancefloor

Look Right Through (MK's Dub Mix): Storm Queen


I did this track under an alias, and I originally played MK's remix as a "letting go of the ego" experiment, since it throws out everything in the original I worked so hard on.



The track I wish I'd signed to my label

Let It Be: The Beatles


I hate it, but I'd be loaded.

The track I'd play to show off my eclectic tastes


You know, I'm not really into showing off (said while organising huge 60s Hindi film collection).

The track that currently gets the most rewinds

Fotonovela (Morgan Geist edit): Ivan


I did my first rewind last week after I accidentally ejected a CD while it was playing. The rewind was me trying to pretend like it was intentional instead of my being too lazy to carry vinyl.

The best track by my favourite new artist

5785021: Jessy Lanza


Jessy's really down to earth for an R&B star. I imagine if I asked Rihanna if she cared to take in some brutalist architecture, she'd blow me off to go get a sandwich with Jay Z. Meanwhile, within hours of my landing in Toronto, Jessy was taking me to see the Robarts Library and that shit looks like a gigantic concrete peacock.

The ideal festival track

Dancer: Gino Soccio


It lets me sneak some disco into almost any set. People with similar tastes to mine get really into it and people with shit taste get to feel clever doing "ironic" Saturday Night Fever moves to it. Win/win.

The track I wish I'd never played


None. You have to be proud of everything you play, or at least what you attempt to play. That said, I probably would have run screaming from the Paradise Garage the time Larry Levan played Pat Benatar's Love Is a Battlefield six times in a row.

The track I'd play at my auntie's wedding

The Man-Machine: Kraftwerk


I didn't realise Auntie Susie had gotten a divorce! Still, I'd love to see my older relatives dancing to this.

The track I'd play at my funeral

Told You: So Depeche Mode


Mainly because I like that joke about the hypochondriac putting "I told you I was sick!" on his headstone.

Metro Area play live at The Warehouse Project, Manchester, Sat





theguardian.com © 2013 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved. | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds




by Ben Beaumont-Thomas via Music: Electronic music | theguardian.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

jQuery(document).ready() {