da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Ukrainian composer Heinali on preserving the sound of Kyiv: ‘I wanted to protect my city from harm’ | Musique Non Stop

da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Ukrainian composer Heinali on preserving the sound of Kyiv: ‘I wanted to protect my city from harm’

The field recordings on Kyiv Eternal, released exactly a year on from Russia’s invasion, document ‘a world that has disappeared’, the artist explains

The latest album by Heinali is a rather beautiful piece created from field recordings made around his home city – recordings from rail stations, the sound of traffic and birdsong, the dripping of water in a tunnel, the rumbling of trains on a track, the babble of voices in a shopping mall – all sliced up, manipulated, accompanied by synthesisers and transformed into a piece of compelling ambient music. What transforms this niche arthouse project into an urgent piece of work is the fact that the city in question is Kyiv. “These are recordings of a world that has disappeared,” says Heinali, AKA Ukrainian musician Oleh Shpudeiko. “The album documents a city that has changed for ever.”

The album, Kyiv Eternal, was completed after the Russian invasion, but the project dates back more than a decade. “I bought myself a handheld digital tape recorder in 2012 and started to record sounds around Kyiv,” says Shpudeiko. “I had hundreds of these sound sketches on my hard drive when I had to flee the city in February last year.”

Continue reading...
by John Lewis via Electronic music | The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment

jQuery(document).ready() {