da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

‘Fletch was meant to outlive us all’: Depeche Mode on death, rebirth and defying the odds | Musique Non Stop

da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Thursday, February 23, 2023

‘Fletch was meant to outlive us all’: Depeche Mode on death, rebirth and defying the odds

Hit hard by the death of keyboardist Andy Fletcher, Dave Gahan questioned whether he wanted to continue – until Martin Gore’s new songs revived him. Making the most of their lives has never been more important, they say

As Dave Gahan happily admits, there was a moment when he thought there would never be another Depeche Mode album. Actually, he says, there were two. The first came as a result of the pandemic, when he underwent a rock star equivalent of the Great Resignation, the phenomenon in which people stuck at home started reconsidering their priorities. He had tried to gig with his other band, Soulsavers, at the end of 2020, between the first and second lockdowns (“Wonderful shows, but the whole thing was a constant state of anxiety – are you fit to fly? What’s happening tomorrow?”), but spent most of the time at home in the US. It was the longest he had ever spent off the road.

“Not making a record; spending time with my family, friends, my fucking cat,” he says. “I thought: I want to stay here. I was quite happy listening to records, watching the Knicks lose at basketball, plugging in my guitar and playing along to someone else’s music, not really interested in making new music.” He smiles. “I was 18 when Depeche Mode started. I thought: it’s enough. I’ve had a good run. So when our manager called and said ‘It’s time’, I honestly said: ‘Jonathan, I don’t know if I want to do this any more.’”

Continue reading...
by Alexis Petridis via Electronic music | The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment

jQuery(document).ready() {