da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Peter Zinovieff: ‘I taught Ringo to play synth. He wasn’t very good – but neither was I' | Musique Non Stop

da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Peter Zinovieff: ‘I taught Ringo to play synth. He wasn’t very good – but neither was I'

He invented sampling, taught everyone from the Beatles to Bowie, and climbed up Big Ben to record its ticking. Meet Peter Zinovieff, grandfather of the synth

“Think of a sound – now make it.” With this slogan, the British company Electronic Music Studios brought synthesisers to the masses in the 1960s. For the company’s co-founder, Peter Zinovieff, it has also been a mantra for his own music. “There are so many sounds in my head and it would be marvellous if they could come out,” he says. “When I go to sleep, I think of ways of producing sounds. Then I spend most of the next day trying to get the computer to obey my nebulous thoughts.”

Zinovieff, now 82, has been trying to make computers obey him for almost 60 years. In fact, he claims to have owned the first personal computer in the world. And he taught the Beatles, Pink Floyd, David Bowie and Kraftwerk how to use EMS synths to gild their work.

My first wife had a tiara. We sold it to pay for a computer. She didn’t miss it

Lots of people would say, "Oh, this is too daring." But I’m not afraid of going too far.

Continue reading...
by Ben Beaumont-Thomas via Electronic music | The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment

jQuery(document).ready() {