da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Stamp The Wax - Diggers Directory: Trepanado @ MusiqueNonStop | Musique Non Stop

da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Friday, August 16, 2019

Stamp The Wax - Diggers Directory: Trepanado @ MusiqueNonStop


Stamp The Wax - Diggers Directory: Trepanado @ MusiqueNonStop

Link to a feed

Posted: 15 Aug 2019 07:48 AM PDT



From his home of São Paulo, Trepanado (real name Augusto Olivani) pilots Selvagem, a party – and formally DJ duo alongside Millos Kaiser – that invites some of the most exciting DJs to play at their regular soirees in both São Paulo and Rio De Janiero.

As a record collector it’s curiosity that motivates him, an appetite for the unknown; qualities that translate into how he approaches his label, Selva Discos. Launched with the help of Optimo in 2017, the imprint is indebted to unearthing rare or overlooked Brazilian music, and, on occasion, inviting a producer to put their own spin on the original.

Alongside a two plus hour vinyl-only mix that weaves together Brazilian music from across the board; think no wave, disco, rap and house, Augusto chats to us about his life collecting records and what moves and motivates him…

DJs and producers often mention their musical education came through their family’s record collection. Was this the case for you? Can you pick out any pivotal records from your upbringing that informed your musical journey?

Haha not the case if we’re talking about a “record collection”, even if I’m proud of the music I was exposed to when I was a young boy. I’m no Thomas Bangalter, I’m no Dewaele brothers, of course, or any of these people who inherited deep record collections from music aficionado daddies and mommies, that’s for sure.

To begin with, we didn’t even have a turntable at home in the 80s, that was something for fancy houses – at least growing up in Brazil in the 80s was. I’m a radio kid, a tape kid. My first “record” was A-Ha’s “Hunting High and Low” K7. Anyway, my mother, who I grew up with in the countryside, loved pop music, specially the Brazilian kind of it – like Lulu Santos – but she also loved disco music and Michael Jackson. My father lived in Sao Paulo and was more like an international pop kinda guy – say, Tears for Fears’ “Songs from the Big Chair”. But I also had a grandfather who loved his opera and bolero records and he would get really excited listening to it on an old Phillips home system when he got hammered. I also had a nerd uncle who opened my eyes to a lot of weird, exquisite stuff – books, comics and… records. And there was this particular record that struck me a lot when I was 8, or 10, which is Pat Metheny Group’s Offramp. I remember he said it might be “difficult” to like it. Anyway, there you go, I was digging “Are You Going With Me?” before puberty which is pretty balearic...


Brazilian music from across the spectrum delivered by the Selva Discos boss.

The post Diggers Directory: Trepanado appeared first on .

No comments:

Post a Comment

jQuery(document).ready() {