da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

‘I was losing words. I didn’t remember the week before’: Beth Orton on chronic illness, MeToo and motherhood | Musique Non Stop

da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Thursday, June 9, 2022

‘I was losing words. I didn’t remember the week before’: Beth Orton on chronic illness, MeToo and motherhood

On her brilliant new album, Orton ploughs her deepest emotions – and doesn’t hold back. She talks about living with Crohn’s disease, her identity struggles and the limits placed on women

In aspirational Hampstead in north London, Beth Orton says people don’t know what to make of her. “Everyone’s poking you with sticks,” she says. “‘What are you, are you successful? What kind of music do you make, what’s your thing?’ I don’t know, I’m just muddling through. I’m a fucking mess, all right? I’ve become a ‘mother’. I meet my children at the gates of the school. And I don’t know if I am that person, but I’m trying to be. I’m also a singer and a songwriter, and I’ve been famous – did that happen, I’m not sure? Trying to incorporate all those incredibly disparate bits of the self into one is ... I just don’t know any more. I don’t know who the fuck I am.”

Motherhood, waning fame and the strangeness of a new neighbourhood are just some of the challenges Orton has faced on the way to her darkest album to date, Weather Alive, along with grief, multiple chronic illnesses, label rejection and financial instability, all of them creating a centrifuge that flung apart but also concentrated her sense of self.

Continue reading...
by Ben Beaumont-Thomas via Electronic music | The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment

jQuery(document).ready() {