da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Charles & Eddie's Eddie Chacon: 'It took me 10 years to recover from being a one-hit wonder' | Musique Non Stop

da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Charles & Eddie's Eddie Chacon: 'It took me 10 years to recover from being a one-hit wonder'

The soulful singer had a worldwide hit with 1992’s Would I Lie to You, but he was dropped and his musical partner died. Now, he has poured his pain into a cathartic comeback album

Eddie Chacon still remembers hitting rock bottom. “It was 15 years ago,” he says. “And it sounds like something from like a bad movie.” Since childhood, he would get up at 8am and work on music. “That morning, my wife walked into my studio and I was just sitting there. She asked, ‘What’s wrong?’ I just said, ‘Nobody’s listening.’ I turned everything off, walked out, and I never went back for 10 years.”

It’s a warm summer’s morning in Los Feliz, Los Angeles and Chacon is sitting in the bright, white study of his 1930s Spanish-style casita and talking about his new album, Pleasure, Joy and Happiness. If you know Chacon’s name it’s most likely as one half of early 90s US duo Charles & Eddie, who were No 1 for two weeks in 1992 with the sweet neo-soul pleader Would I Lie to You. Eddie was the androgynously handsome Latino one with the hoop earrings and the mane of thick, dark black hair halfway down his back. He sang the Marvin-meets-Jacko falsetto parts and those little cries of “Oh yeah!”

I always said if I got my head screwed on straight I could make one record where I was honest with myself

Continue reading...
by Andrew Male via Electronic music | The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment

jQuery(document).ready() {