da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

James Blake speaks out about struggle with depression | Musique Non Stop

da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Tuesday, July 3, 2018

James Blake speaks out about struggle with depression

Musician says he has sought treatment for ‘suicidal thoughts’, and urges public figures to help remove stigma about mental illness

James Blake has discussed how the pressures of his early career led to him developing “suicidal thoughts”. “I would say that chemical imbalance due to diet and the deterioration of my health was a huge, huge factor in my depression and eventual suicidal thoughts,” said the 29-year-old British songwriter. “I developed [dietary] intolerances that would lead to existential depression on a daily basis. I would eat a certain thing and then all day I would feel like there was just no point.”

Speaking on a panel about the “suicide crisis in the arts population” at the annual symposium of the Performing Arts Medicine Association (PAMA) in California on 1 July, Blake discussed how the superficial interactions of touring life left him feeling alienated, Billboard reports. “I was taken away from normal life essentially at an age where I was half-formed,” he said. “Your connection to other people becomes surface-level. So if you were only in town for one day and someone asked you how you are, you go into the good stuff, which generally doesn’t involve how anxious you feel [or] how depressed you feel.”

Please read. I've wanted to say this for a long time, and now seemed as good a time as any. pic.twitter.com/1fSPt7SJnx

Related: 'It's nothing like a broken leg': why I'm done with the mental health conversation

Continue reading...
by Laura Snapes via Electronic music | The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment

jQuery(document).ready() {