da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Nabihah Iqbal: ‘What’s the point being me if I’m going to keep quiet?’ | Musique Non Stop

da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Saturday, March 31, 2018

Nabihah Iqbal: ‘What’s the point being me if I’m going to keep quiet?’

The lawyer turned outspoken creator of multifaceted guitar-based pop is a trailblazer for Asian women in rock. Just don’t make assumptions about her music based on ethnicity, she says

“Growing up,” says Nabihah Iqbal, “my parents always made a big effort to make sure we did a lot of extracurricular activities and creative stuff – but I don’t think they actually envisaged any of us would then pursue that as a career.”

Shaking yourself free of Asian stereotypes is a burden that most second-generation immigrants have had to deal with. Indeed, for British Pakistani musician Iqbal, perhaps the only one that rings true is having parents who worry about their children getting what she laughingly describes as a “proper job”.

Related: Nabihah Iqbal: Weighing of the Heart review – a thoughtful, immersive debut

Continue reading...
by Tara Joshi via Electronic music | The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment

jQuery(document).ready() {