da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Jamie Lidell: 'I’m glad I didn’t lock myself into being this crazy electronic dude' | Musique Non Stop

da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Jamie Lidell: 'I’m glad I didn’t lock myself into being this crazy electronic dude'

He started out as a Prince fanboy with a penchant for circuit bending, but ended up an unlikely pop star. With a new record all about his new family and content small-town life in Nashville, is this the real Jamie Lidell?

“I don’t trust anyone who’s not a nerd,” says Jamie Lidell. “If you’re not really a nerd then you’re not really into something.” Anyone who saw Lidell’s live show a decade ago wouldn’t confuse him for a man who wasn’t into what he was doing. Back in 2005 Lidell toured the UK in a jacket made out of VHS tape and a helmet with a camera strapped to his head, alongside an audio visual sidekick by the name of Pablo Fiasco.

It was a ramshackle yet captivating live show that stood out on a bill he shared with the London Sinfonietta and fellow Warp records signee Squarepusher and felt more like a cyberpunk circus act than a conventional gig. “It was a cool chance for me and my visual guy to cause a ruckus because everyone was very formal and we were super messy,” says Lidell. The organised chaos, partly enabled by a loop programme he developed himself, gave Lidell a new audience and brought his vision of nerd Nirvana to venues like London’s Royal Festival Hall.

Continue reading...
by Lanre Bakare via Electronic music | The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment

jQuery(document).ready() {