da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Getting down with the kids: children review music’s top tips for 2016 | Musique Non Stop

da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Saturday, January 30, 2016

Getting down with the kids: children review music’s top tips for 2016

Introducing her son to her favourite music got Jude Rogers thinking about children’s relationship to pop. She talks music with a panel of kids - and gets them to rate the latest next big things

My first memory is of music. I’m two-and-a-half, standing on a stool in my grandmother’s kitchen; she has let me help her wash the dishes, which is quite the grown-up honour. I am spinning records in the sink – essentially circling the water with a cleaning brush – because the music on the radio has moved me so much. “Trou-per-per! Trou-per-per!” the song goes, brightly. I am shining like the sun, feeling like a number one.

On that dull autumn afternoon, in a small Swansea scullery, began a little girl’s 35-year (to date) love affair with ABBA, and a connection with Super Trouper that would grow through her life (Teens: wow, it’s about touring! Twenties: it’s about the essential melancholy of fame! Thirties: God, how did they all cope doing songs like this while they were divorcing?).

The sharing of pop between the generations these days is a much bigger deal

It’s not working for me because I worry about everything

Maybe he’s driving fast because he was late to steal from the bank

She’s a kid! A baby goat. She sounds a bit like a goat

I think he sounds stinky

She sounds like she’s in a space rocket and she can’t talk properly

Continue reading...
by Jude Rogers via Electronic music | The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment

jQuery(document).ready() {