da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Yaeji: ‘Music allows for time travel, and for us to understand each other better’ | Musique Non Stop

da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Yaeji: ‘Music allows for time travel, and for us to understand each other better’

The Korean-American artist was a darling of the underground dance scene, but hadn’t fully reckoned with her painful past. She explains how reiki healing and anime led to clarity and a wondrous debut album

Done (Let’s Get It), the groovy, squelching centrepiece of Yaeji’s debut album With a Hammer, is proof that inspiration – and life-altering revelation, in fact – can arise from the most unlikely of places. A song about breaking cycles of inherited trauma, the Korean-American producer was inspired to write it not after a therapy session or deep meditation, but after watching her dog, Jiji, eat – and realising that she was raising Jiji in a similar way to how her parents and grandparents had raised her.

“My grandpa would make dinner for me and then tell me to eat fast – he was constantly pressuring me in this way that felt really visceral and violent, and I would have indigestion,” she says. “I found myself doing the same thing to Jiji – and while comical, it was also a serious realisation, an example of passing down vicious cycles. It was such a slap in my face.”

Continue reading...
by Shaad D'Souza via Electronic music | The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment

jQuery(document).ready() {