da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Fred Again: ‘I was fortunate not to be good at anything else, so I had clarity’ | Musique Non Stop

da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Monday, October 17, 2022

Fred Again: ‘I was fortunate not to be good at anything else, so I had clarity’

The in-demand producer has worked with Ed Sheeran and Stormzy but, for his own records, he’s more often found on buses, tubes and trains with his finger on the record button, waiting for inspiration to strike

Stretched out on the sun-dappled balcony of his fancy LA rental, Fred Gibson looks every inch music’s go-to super-producer. Even dressed down in an embroidered oversized sweatshirt, Gibson’s Zoom screen-dominating smile suggests things are going Quite Well. Having overseen hits for everyone from Stormzy to Rita Ora, Ed Sheeran to AJ Tracey, Gibson was responsible for a third of 2019’s UK No 1 singles. A year later he won the Brit award for best producer, before launching his own dance-leaning artist project, Fred Again in 2021, the same year as spending 15 weeks at No 1 via two Ed Sheeran co-productions.

But looks can be deceiving. When I suggest he got the better deal vis-a-vis interview locales the 29-year-old south Londoner replies with a misty-eyed “I long for where you are”, which is too nice a thing to say about the south-east London suburb of Brockley. He balks, too, at the super-producer tag (“That’s quite gross”), while mention of his Brit is met with a polite shrug. “I’m not really fussed,” he says. “I don’t want to shit on something that matters to people but it’s just so not why I do it.”

Continue reading...
by Michael Cragg via Electronic music | The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment

jQuery(document).ready() {