da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Ravers having it large at Castlemorton, 1992: Alan Lodge’s best photograph | Musique Non Stop

da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Wednesday, August 10, 2022

Ravers having it large at Castlemorton, 1992: Alan Lodge’s best photograph

‘In 1992, 20,000 people gathered for an illegal rave at Castlemorton Common. It was the thing to dance on speaker stacks or on the top of buses or trucks’

In the 1970s I went to free festivals like the Stonehenge free festival and the Windsor People’s free festival. In 1974 there wasn’t a law to prevent these activities but, given we were in the Queen’s back garden in Windsor, the police came, one of whom whacked me around the side of the head. I fell off my log, spilled my tea, and I’ve never been the same since. It colours your politics. I still have a slight indentation.

Having worked previously with the ambulance service, I helped set up festival welfare services at these events but the number of people coming to the tent asking for assistance was far outweighed by the ones saying their girlfriend had been arrested for a bit of hash. I made it my business to go around photographing stop-and-searches, because sometimes the police behaviour would be unacceptable – such as strip-searching people by the side of the road.

Continue reading...
by Interview by Daniel Dylan Wray via Electronic music | The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment

jQuery(document).ready() {