da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

How we made Beat Dis by Bomb the Bass | Musique Non Stop

da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Monday, July 19, 2021

How we made Beat Dis by Bomb the Bass

‘I was completely naive about sampling. Royalties didn’t cross my mind. If you were to make it now, you would need a good legal team’

I was working as a waiter in a Japanese restaurant and studying audio engineering at Royal Holloway University of London in the afternoons. I got into splicing tape and became fascinated by chopping things up and putting samples into a different order. I was 18 years old and completely naive. Royalties didn’t cross my mind. Sugar Hill Records – where we got the “everybody in the street” line – they were very pissed off and we ended up paying them a lot to use the sample as it was the song’s hook. If you were to make Beat Dis now, you would need a good legal team to track down the rights holders of all the 1960s and 70s records we sampled.

It came out the same week as Kylie’s I Should Be So Lucky. If the shops hadn’t sold out, we’d have got to No 1

Continue reading...
by Interviews by David Jesudason via Electronic music | The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment

jQuery(document).ready() {