da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Låpsley: ‘I don’t have to say I love the kind of music I make’ | Musique Non Stop

da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Thursday, March 3, 2016

Låpsley: ‘I don’t have to say I love the kind of music I make’

She was raised on techno in the clubs of Liverpool, but it’s the singer’s Radio 1-friendly electronica that has catapulted her from her bedroom to near-stardom

The foyer of XL Recordings’ homely west London HQ is papered with this century’s musical prime movers. Posters of Radiohead, Vampire Weekend, MIA and the White Stripes gild the walls. A fake witness appeal board for “London Grimestoppers” celebrates the release of Dizzee Rascal’s Showtime, a red ticker-tape recites the lyrics of Adele’s Hello. Nestled among all this paraphernalia is a picture of 19-year-old Holly Lapsley Fletcher, from Southport, Merseyside. There’s not much to see here – none of the frenzied aesthetics or posturing of her forebears. Instead, refined, unadorned and composed, Fletcher, who goes under the name Låpsley, looks like a very 2016-ish kind of popstar.

“I don’t know who’d be in my clan,” she muses. “Jack Garratt,” she decides. “London Grammar.” Fletcher makes tasteful, electronica-informed pop of the kind beloved by Radio 1; those are indeed her peers. But she’s not just identifying her cohort, she’s also describing the kind of music she doesn’t like. “I don’t feel like I have to prove a point and say that I love the kind of music that I make,” she says. She prefers “heavy electronic, like a lot of ambient” or Joni Mitchell types. So, what’s she doing putting out an album of tasteful, electronica-informed pop? “Because I wanted a challenge, and the hardest thing in the world is to make songs that are accessible that are written by one person.”

Related: Låpsley: Long Way Home review – neo-pop newbie takes cue from Adele

Related: Låpsley’s Falling Short, this week’s best new track

Continue reading...
by Rachel Aroesti via Electronic music | The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment

jQuery(document).ready() {