da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Perfume Genius: ‘I thought I'd grow up to be a woman’ | Musique Non Stop

da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Monday, May 8, 2017

Perfume Genius: ‘I thought I'd grow up to be a woman’

Mike Hadreas talks sexuality and the days of reciting Twitter T&Cs with his drug dealer. Now, he’s sober and wondering: what would Springsteen do?

Related: The industry closet: queer pop from Little Richard to Frank Ocean

The night before our interview, Mike Hadreas, who makes soul-baring, emotionally lurid pop-rock as Perfume Genius, flooded his hotel room. He’d just arrived in London from Berlin, the last leg of a European press tour in support of his excellent new album No Shape, was in the shower and accidentally left the sink taps running. By 2am, his room was filled with hotel staff armed with towels. It was, he says, the sort of drama that would have troubled him a few years ago. “I thought I’d struggle to sleep afterwards,” he says through a haze of vape musk as we amble towards east London’s Hackney City Farm, “but I managed.”

I pushed it to a different level than most people did; they would stop and I would continue

I was thinking of a pop star like Bruce Springsteen, the confidence … when they give people music, everyone’s like: Yes!

Continue reading...
by Michael Cragg via Electronic music | The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment

jQuery(document).ready() {