da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

The Egyptian Lover: 'I only started singing so people would know the track names' | Musique Non Stop

da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Monday, May 30, 2016

The Egyptian Lover: 'I only started singing so people would know the track names'

The electro producer also known as Greg Broussard recalls the studio techniques and diverse influences that made his records club hits in the 80s, and explains why the sound will never die

Greg Broussard is explaining how he found his voice – a purr of a voice; a slick, calm invitation. It’s the voice of his musical alter ego, the Egyptian Lover, and he owes the voice to Prince.

“On a long version of one of his songs, Controversy, he’s saying [Broussard goes into an impression here]: ‘People call me rude / I wish we all were nude.’ I liked that chant style, so I tried to be cool with it. I started lowering my voice, trying different things, and it just fit along with the songs. It wasn’t screaming or overpowering, more a seductive way of talking to women.”

Continue reading...
by Ned Raggett via Electronic music | The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment

jQuery(document).ready() {