da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Bibio's playlist: Don Blackman, John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman, and more | Musique Non Stop

da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Monday, April 11, 2016

Bibio's playlist: Don Blackman, John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman, and more

UK producer’s music of the moment includes 80s boogie, Icelandic jazz, a little-known vocalist whose voice is ‘made of oak’ and a film gem

My friend Rob Lee (of Wax Stag) put on The Box Tree one night when I went to stay with him. I remember it being the perfect choice at the time, even though I’d never heard it before. Sometime later I bought the album, twice in fact because I loved it so much I had to get it on vinyl too. I’ve never heard anything quite like this track, it’s labelled as jazz but I don’t hear it as jazz. What I hear is unique, mysterious; the intriguing and magical side of bleak, like a misty forest in a strange land. I’ve never been to Iceland, but I can’t help thinking only Icelandic people could make music with this specific vibe. I drift into another world in my mind when I listen to this.

Continue reading...
by Stephen Wilkinson via Electronic music | The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment

jQuery(document).ready() {