da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Rosie Lowe: ‘Everyone should go to therapy... we’re such complex beings’ | Musique Non Stop

da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Rosie Lowe: ‘Everyone should go to therapy... we’re such complex beings’

The Devon-born musician on chopping her own wood, championing feminism and relinquishing control

London-based musician Rosie Lowe, 26, was born in Devon, the youngest of six children. She grew up in a basic wooden house built by her dad, keeping herself entertained (there was no TV) by learning six instruments. After completing a popular music course at Goldsmiths, she started making her own music – a languorous take on electronic soul (think Sade refracted by the xx). She has collaborated with Kwes and the Invisible’s Dave Okumu, and signed to producer Paul Epworth’s label in 2014. Her debut album, Control, is out on 19 February.

You had quite a ‘back-to-nature’ childhood. How has that shaped you?
I think it’s made me grounded in a way I didn’t appreciate back then. It’s the same now when I go back – we have to chop wood and pick our own vegetables and stuff. You can’t drink the water. It makes you very patient – when I was writing the album there it was like a full-time job keeping the house warm.

As a woman, I think, I’ve got to be very much in control because I don’t want to be moulded

Continue reading...
by Michael Cragg via Electronic music | The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment

jQuery(document).ready() {