da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Open thread: what would be on your hospital surgery playlist? | Musique Non Stop

da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Open thread: what would be on your hospital surgery playlist?

A recent study shows that listening to music can help ease anxiety and pain before, during and after surgery. Which songs would soothe you in the operating theatre?

The only time I’ve ever been placed under general anaesthetic, I narrowly avoided punching a nurse in the face. I was nine years old. I remember coming to in the middle of the operation and trying to get off the hospital bed while screaming hysterically for my father. My skinny arms, flailing through the air, certainly didn’t do much damage, and after what felt like a few frenzied seconds I was put back under. Dad was by my bedside when I woke up – though I don’t recall seeing that nurse again.

Looking back on that slightly painful, but mostly mortifying afternoon, I probably could have done with a soothing playlist. Researchers behind a report recently published by the Lancet have found that patients who listen to music before, during and after an operation can lower their levels of anxiety and decrease their need for post-op painkillers.

Related: The surgeon's cut: what do doctors listen to in the operating theatre?

Continue reading...
by Tshepo Mokoena via Electronic music | The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment

jQuery(document).ready() {