da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Holly Herndon: the queen of tech-topia | Musique Non Stop

da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Sunday, April 26, 2015

Holly Herndon: the queen of tech-topia

Acrylic nails tapping on a smartphone, Skype breakups, pop-up adverts … it’s all music to Holly Herndon. We meet the avant-garde techno producer bringing ‘paradise politics’ to the dancefloor

Which musical instrument conveys the most emotion? Piano, cello, guitar? For Holly Herndon, whose ultra-contemporary compositions reflect on everything from targeted advertising to betrayal by the NSA, it’s the laptop.

“A lot of people complain about it being less engaging, less natural, less emotional, but my laptop mediates so much of my life: my Skype, my bank account, my emails, my relationships,” she says. “It’s actually a hyper-emotional instrument; it has more emotional content than a violin could ever dream of.”

Violating my inbox felt [worse] than if someone went into my apartment. That's where all my relationships live

Continue reading...
by Ben Beaumont-Thomas via Electronic music | The Guardian

No comments:

Post a Comment

jQuery(document).ready() {