da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Blog of the week: Weekly Review of Dance Music | Musique Non Stop

da873623c98928185f5fee6ee4eb4d49

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Blog of the week: Weekly Review of Dance Music

Weekly Review of Dance Music

Blog jam: this week, the self-professed "gold standard in dance music journalism"

Who are you and what's your blog called?

My name is Tonka and my blog is the world famous Weekly Review of Dance Music.

Where are you based?

WRDM HQ. Conveniently located between five and ten minutes walk away from the hustle and bustle of Oldfield Circus, Northolt.


Describe your blog in a sentence.

The currently ineffective opposition to Mixmag, The Family International and Viz.

How long has your blog been going?

Since the summer of 2011. Before then I had been telling people what to think in the many forums at Resident Advisor. A young man from Detroit appealed that I start a blog so that he and the rest of the 'forumers' wouldn't have to work so hard to seek out my truth.

What do you write about?

All types of dance music, DJs, producers, Jon of the Pleased Wimmin, other blogs, drugs, The Guardian Guide, CBeebies, Tony De Vit, Gangsta rap, modern art, Club Fabric, Sundissential, Berghain, the philosophical interests of Friedrich Nietzsche, pulling birds, late 80s/early 90s WWF wrestling, my true life experiences and Ricardo Villalobos.

Wh should people should visit your blog?

WRDM is the gold standard in dance music journalism. In addition to my weekly posts, I interview a wide variety of people in the industry by squeezing my MASSIVE QUESTIONS into their tight little inboxes and waiting patiently to receive their answers, before publishing the transcript of the interview online. Check out the delicious chats I had with Ben Westbeech, No Regular Play, Egyptian Lover and Acid Pauli. DO NOT seek out the Jeremy Healy one from last year.

I dreamed last night that The Weekly Review of Dance Music is an internet interpretation of free-form jazz for people who hate free-form jazz … but love dance music. One week you'll be reading about what I've got to say about everyone suddenly loving nu-tribal, the next it'll be a review of a Hot Creations album I've been given for free in exchange for a plug. One week you will read about what I thought of an exhibition at the Tate Modern, the next it'll be a review of a brilliant free night out I had in a club in exchange for a favourable review. Blog jazz.

"Unpredictable" is the only word you can apply to WRDM. And "brilliant".

What's your top song right now?



Fuck All Nite by Jay-Z
. Jay-Z rapping about how great it is to go "all the way" with loads of women. It was produced by The Neptunes in 2002 but sounds like it was made in 2047 by the bloke who wrote the music for Super Mario.

What's your favourite music blog aside from your own?

The Music Blog on The Guardian website. I read it every day on my lunch break and crave to be taken as seriously as Alex Petridis.




theguardian.com © 2013 Guardian News and Media Limited or its affiliated companies. All rights reserved. | Use of this content is subject to our Terms & Conditions | More Feeds

No comments:

Post a Comment

jQuery(document).ready() {